Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Oh so sweet rain!

Though i have been soaked in the rain many times, the experience has seldom been enjoyable for me. Perhaps that is because of the fact that i have always had something to protect from the rain- my notebooks, my cell phone etc.
This afternoon, I was standing by the window of my room when i felt a gush of cool air....and guess what...within seconds it started raining! I felt a rush in me. The urge to get drenched came spontaneously. A few steps down the stairs, a kick-start and a few minutes later I was cruising on the highway on my bike. The raindrops suddenly became more voluble…as if to invite me into their realm. I went on driving for quite a while. My clothes were drenched to the last thread. I woke up from almost a trance when I heard someone greet me. Only then did I notice this six-foot twenty-something guy catching up to me on my left. He was kind of amused by the way I was smiling...clearly and unpretentiously enjoying the rain. We got off from our bikes. A few cursory formalities later we sat on a stone by the road watching...watching people.
Different people obviously react differently when bedraggled. Some take to the sheds immediately while some press the accelerator hard. Others open up their umbrellas or put on their raincoats. These are perfectly predictable actions.
What caught our eyes was a particular set of faces. Some of them were smiling, some were impassive and some were even a little pensive. They belonged to people of various ages. But each one of them had one common attribute - it wanted to be in the rain. It was amazing to see frozen expressions turn into smiles and smiles turn into laughter. The joy in these faces was almost palpable. Before we started back to our homes, I stood there just a while longer, savouring one of the most delightful moments in my life. Bliss, as they say, lies hidden in these small moments of life that we often ignore.
I returned back...richer by a beautiful experience.

No comments: